Are you interested in new experiences and challenges? Or maybe a career in teaching, childcare or recreation? Do you have a love of children and enjoy being in a leadership role?
The YMCA is looking for young people 16+ to become Day Programme Leaders on our school holiday programmes. As a YMCA youth leader you will work alongside other youth leaders and learn how to manage groups of children while having fun and keeping them safe.
This is a voluntary, non-competitive programme for those aged 16 +, which focuses on developing the person rather than the recruitment of unpaid staff.
Why get involved?
Working on a holiday programme is a fantastic way to develop leadership skills and gain experience working with people. Holiday programmes are a huge amount of fun and a very valuable way to give back to the community and gain invaluable skills.
Each school holiday period the YMCA runs up to 10 different programmes all over the region, offering a variety of activities that include arts and crafts, sports and games, cooking, day trips and outdoor activities.
As a volunteer leader you will work as part of a team, along-side an experienced staff, to run the programme. You can expect to get involved with the kids, manage your group and the behaviours, role model a positive attitude and have a great experience!
If you are thinking of studying any field that relates to working with or just want a super fun and rewarding experience then this is for you!
- By becoming a YMCA volunteer you have a unique opportunity to contribute to your community in a way that is both meaningful to you and to the wider community.
- Personal and professional development
- Work experience – build your CV
- Learn new skills
- Help others
- Develop communication
- Use personal knowledge and skill base to teach children
- Gain a sense of purpose
- Make new friends
- Build self-confidence
- Explore career opportunities
- Feel needed, useful and appreciated
- Be a team member
- Have fun and enjoy yourself
- Make a difference
- Complete your Duke of Edinburgh requirements through the YMCA!!
- Be 16yrs +
- Participate in YMCA training
- Volunteer at least 2-3 times during the Holiday Programme Period
- Be able to get yourself to the programme or the YMCA
- Participate in the debrief and Volunteer team event
- Interest in children, recreation and activities
- Honest, punctual and reliable
- Energetic and flexible attitude
- Desire to learn, develop and grow
- Portray core values -Honesty, Responsibility, Caring and Respect
You’ll have the chance to:
- Make new friends and become part of an awesome team
- Develop you leadership skills with free leadership training
- Increase your self-confidence
- Take part in regular social and adventure based activities
- Try new and exciting challenges
- Get all expenses paid trips to choice destinations
- Get a YMCA certificate of appreciation for your CV
- Have lots of fun!