The YMCA is committed to being a cause driven organisation focusing on building strong kids, families and communities. That being the case we are driven towards:
Throughout New Zealand there are 15 YMCAs that share a common purpose – to relate to and meet the needs of people in their respective communities. The YMCA’s across the country work on a number of collaborative projects with the shared aim: to build strong kids, strong families and strong communities by being locally responsive and engaged, but also nationally co-operative and supportive.
YMCA Greater Wellington Region is a not for profit community organisation which aims to build strong kids, strong families and strong communities. Together with our many partners we provide opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to help them grow inbody, mind and spirit.
We have five departments:
- Recreation, The Recreation department includes our Fitness Centre in Trentham, After Schools Care Programmes, School Holiday Programmes and Sport leagues based all around the region.
- Education, The Education department operates in Masterton and Wellington and provides programmes mainly for second chance learners. These are young people that for a range of reasons mainstream education has not worked well for them.
- Youth, The Youth department runs programmes in Masterton and Dannevirke.We are currently exploring opportunities in the Hutt Valley and Porirua/Mana area.
- Outdoors, YMCA Camp Kaitoke is located on 38 acres in Kaitoke just north of Upper Hutt. We run a quality Outdoor education programme for schools and our own YMCA camps in holiday periods. The camp is also well used by a range of community groups throughout the year.
- Accommodation, YMCA Pilmuir Accommodation is located at 67 Pilmuir Street, where we have a 102-room hostel offering affordable short and long term accommodation options.
With your help we can further provide fantastic opportunities for our communities throughout the whole Greater Wellington Region. There’s no better way to help foster a sense of belonging than to get involved, in whichever way is best for you. Perhaps that could be through your organisation or business, maybe you wish to contact us about a partnership, or perhaps you may interested in making a donation or a bequest, the YMCA is a Charity after all and any funds raised will be put back into supporting our programmes within the community, we welcome your input.
We would love to hear from you or your organisation.
CEO YMCA Greater Wellington Region.